Our club was founded in 1891 as a service organization dedicated to enriching the civic, educational, and social service sectors of our community. It stored books for the Elmwood Library Association until a public library opened to house them in 1904. It supplied lifeguards to the first public beach, supported a visiting nurse, oversaw the creation of Wilmette’s League of Women Voters, and ran a canning kitchen during World War II.
Today, the Woman’s Club continues its mission of service by hosting several annual events such as a rummage sale and an antique show as well as making annual contributions to various service organizations that provide aid to victims of domestic violence, to youth at risk, or to military personnel. In 2008, the Club contributed $20,000 to the Village of Wilmette to replace public trees recently lost to storms and disease.
Members generally meet on the first and third Wednesdays October through May for a noon luncheon and program. In June and July we meet just once - and more informally - for a potluck salad luncheon.
Among sponsored activities members enjoy are bridge, a book review series, a Great Decisions series, and outings to various sites and events.
Our beautiful club house at 930 Greenleaf Ave. in Wilmette is available for rent to those wishing to host a social function in roomy and gracious surroundings.
So, click on the tabs above to check us out. We hope you'll be impressed enough to join us!